Big Data Republic is holding a radio event that is focused on cloud security. They are also giving out Starbucks Cards for free.
See here for details.
One important component for the New Learning Times (NLT) mobile site is the image gallery. It is intended to show in the top of both the home page and article page.
Below are the major challenges that faced us when working on the plugin,
Support mobile UI features including tap and swipe gestures.
Auto-resize to fit screen whenever page is loaded, re-sized or when window is rotated.
Be able to work smoothly with the JQuery mobile framework.
Initially we searched and tried some image gallery products that exist on the internet, including PhotoSwipe...
We finished NLT CMS recently but somehow found the site to be slow. This first appeared weird to us because the site wasn't that big and basically we followed the methodology as we did for other Django products.
Our initial assumption of the cause was the database server being crowded. This is actually a most popular reason for decreased site performance and we did fix speed problems by distributing databases to multiple servers. However, the speed of CMS didn't improve apparently even after we moved its database to a new server.
The second approach we attempted was create a new virtua...
I was playing around Carnegie Mellon's Open Learning Initiative. It is site well-designed to support online teaching and learning. I was most impressed by its features as it were carefully devised for course creating and managing.
The site provides a "Course Builder" utility to instructors who plan to create a course. Apart from the course creation options that are common to most learning sites, the Course Builder does provide some outstanding features. Basically, a course can be created in either "simple" or "advanced" mode. If created under "advanced" mode, the editor will have greater fr...
I was doing an investigation about which cloud service would be the best for us to deploy for the New Learning Times (NLT) project. Among the services I looked into, Google App Engine appeared to be a very unique one.
The Engine has its innovative way of building, deploying and maintaining projects. Everything around developing including coding, compiling, launching and debugging takes place in an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) that is picked against the project requirement.
A very interesting feature about using the IDE is that the development instance always rests locally an...
As suggested by Hui Soo, I just read an article that discusses how educators can be innovative even when modern education tools are not available. It points out that being innovative shoudn't be just about letting student use modern learning resources because many school still lack them.
It's possible though to be innovative even with limited resources. The author gave a very good example about how a teacher can use Twitter to learn othe...
A few recent trends in the PC world have made it convincing that PC is losing prominence and support and is ceding to the tablet. In the entire PC manufacture world, Apple did not get the volumes in the Mac as compared to PC manufacturers like HP and Dell. Such were things until something disruptive happened: the tablet was born with the iPad.
It is clear from all market data that the iPad and tablets are cutting into PC sale volumes. In the past few years, PC/Netbook shipments have fallen by about 4.2% with the only silver lining being a bullish sales of MacBooks and Lenovo in the US. Com...
Machine learning package
Download and install package:
* libyaml (on Ubuntu you need libyaml and libyaml-dev)
*Download the code:
* git clone https://www.github.com/thatdatabaseguy/ml4webdevs.git
* cd ml4webdevs/setup
Why you should care
* Ever wanted to give your users meaningful recommendations?
* How about finding similar documents?
* detecting spam/fraudulent transactions?
What machine learning is NOT?
* ETL/ data cleansing
* twitter_id2facebook_id OMG I
last 3-4 years, new features implemented
Pandas - initially a tool for financial data analysis
* Data structures for working with relational or labeled data
* Integrated tools for manipulating, aggregating, and transforming data sets
* building block for statistical modeling
* one of the fastest, most flexible in-memory data processing tools in Python
* general data munging, manipulation
* financial modeling and analytics
* statistical modeling and econometrics
* "enterprise"/"big data" analytics?
* Record all objects in an executing program
* Outputs from print statements and terminating exception can also be recorded
* Stop execution on conditions, such as too many lines or too much time
* Stored in file or print on screen
* read file after execution
* Stored output from print statements
* Store full traceback from terminating exception
* Line number
* Name of current function
* local variables
* sys.settrace(trace_function), trace) function is executed for each event
*events- line, call, return, exception, and others