This website uses cookies and similar technologies to understand visitors' experiences. By continuing to use this website, you accept our use of cookies and similar technologies,Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Building a new library for the rapidly growing college was delayed first by World War I and then again in 1919 by the purchase of the Bancroft apartment building on 121st Street and the Janus Court building on Morningside Drive. Janus Court was renamed in honor of Columbia University president, Seth Low. When plans were resumed in 1922, it was decided to build not only a library but an extension to Grace Dodge Hall for a dining room and restaurant. The library on the south and the Dodge extension on the north would finally enclose the block. The building was named Russell Hall in honor of Jam...
The opening of the Household Arts Building in 1909 marked the professionalization of the field of what was to become Home Economics. The departments of Domestic Arts, Sciences and Administration were combined to form the School of Household Arts and Sciences intended primarily to train teachers of these subjects but also administrators of large domesti...
Teachers College opened the Lincoln School at 646 Park Avenue in 1917 to serve as a laboratory school and a testing ground for progressive curricula. The school encompassed kindergarten through 12th grade and attracted the children of prominent New Yorkers such as John D. Rockefeller, Jr. The staff, under the leadership of Professor Otis W. Caldwell and influenced by the teachings of John Dewey, constructed an interactive or "experience" curriculum designed to relate classroom materials to the realities of everyday urban-industrial as well as agricultural life. Science and mathematics courses ...
The western wing of Main Hall, opened in 1897 and known as The Milbank Memorial, was the gift of banker Joseph Milbank in memory of his parents. The chapel is the main feature of the Milbank Memorial.  Andrew S. Dolkart describes the chapel in Morningside Heights: A History of Its Architecture and Development: ...designed to seat 250 people, it [the chapel] is a fanciful Gothic space with a wide pointed arch framing a shallow raised platfor...
The Horace Mann School took on the character of an exclusive private school after moving into its own building in 1902. Teachers College students could observe best practices in action at Horace Mann but experimentation and practice teaching became inappropriate. The College built the Speyer School on 126th Street in the poor neighborhood of Manhatt...
Frederick Ferris Thompson Memorial Hall, opened in 1894, was the first facility in Morningside Heights to provide advanced physical education facilities for women students according to Andrew S. Dolkart's Morningside Heights: A History of Its Architecture and Development. Wome...
The opening of Whittier Hall in 1901 solved a serious problem for Teachers College by providing dormitory facilities for the single young women who flocked to New York from all over the country to take courses. It was not socially acceptable for young women to live on their own and boardinghouses in respectable neighborhoods were expensive.  The Whitti...
The Horace Mann School was founded 1887 as a coeducational experimental and developmental unit of Teachers College by Nicholas Murray Butler. The school moved to Morningside Heights with the newly-accredited Teachers College and into its own building in 1902. The school was named after
Morningside Heights was one of the last neighborhoods in New York to be developed in the late 19th century. Farms still predominated the landscape when the newly-chartered Teachers College purchased the block on West 120th Street between Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue. Columbia University, Barnard College, Union Theological Seminary, Bank Street Colle...
The Gottesman Libraries carry on the long tradition of service to Teachers College begun by the Bryson Library in 1887. The Industrial Education Association, precursor to Teachers College, was located at that time at 9 University Place in what is now the East Village. Miss Grace Hoadley Dodge functioned as the Association's acting president. Noted businessman and philanthropist George W. Vand...