An Online Degree At A Fraction Of The Cost: The WGU Model
This article in Bloomberg Businessweek describes the highly-successful Western Governors University (WGU) affordable alternative to state colleges and for-profit online universities geared toward older students.
Online Education, With a Low-Cost Twist
Tuition is one-half to one-third of typical for-profit program.
The average age of students is 36 and rural, first-generation, low-income, and minority students make up the majority of the school's population.
- No full time faculty with tenure and benefits.
- Mentors by phone and e-mail.
- Tuition-driven non-profit pricing model.
- No lectures or required class attendance.
- Student assessment based on performance on online tests, projects, and assignments.