Are you a Teachers College student, and, if so, what are you studying?
While I am not a TC student, I have long admired the tradition of progressive and innovative learning happening here. As a former educator, I find TC and EdLab an inspiring place to be for positive change in education and public service.
Where’s your hometown?
What did you want to be when you grew up?
As a kid, I wanted to be a performer or singer but often daydreamed of having many different jobs. I knew early on that I never wanted to be bored at work.
What was your first job?
At around 11, I got my first job as a paper delivery girl.
What has been your best job?
I've truly enjoyed all of my work (maybe except delivering papers), but my recent favorite is working as an editor at an indie publishing house and in the past working as a PreK geology teacher at Northwestern University's Center for Talent Development.
Your favorite meal:
My father moved to America from Greece when he was 17, and my grandmother's cooking is my favorite: whether it's fresh baked bread or moussaka, it's always delicious - and at 89 years old, incredible!
Are you a morning or night person?:
I love it when I wake up early, but I'm usually a night owl and late sleeper.
A delicious dessert:
Fruit tarts, chocolate everything
Song you love no matter how many times you hear it:
Anything by Selena.
A country you’d like to visit:
I would love to go to Iraq, Iran, and tour the entire Middle East. Incredible cultural histories, the foundations of civilization, and delicious cuisines definitely call me there.
A book you strongly recommend?
- Kissing in Manhattan by David Schickler
- Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
- Thunderbird by Dorothea Lasky
- Rise in the Fall by Ana Božičević
- Haute Surveillance by Johannes Göransson
A sport you enjoy playing (or watching)?
- Wait, wait! by Hatsue Nakawaki
- Coppernickel The Invention by Wouter van Reek
- Press Here by Herve Tullet
- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
- One by Kathryn Otoshi
- Lulu and the Brontosaurus by Judith Viorst
- The Magician's Elephant by Kate Dicamillo
- D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths by Ingri d'Aulaire and Edgar Parin d'Aulaire
I used to play and coach soccer, but also enjoy running, swimming, and biking. Basketball is my favorite sport to watch (go Bulls!)
TOP THREE….Best places to read?
1. Gottesman Library, in the loft of the 4th floor stacks
2. Large comfy sofa, wood burning fireplace: I'm daydreaming of a cabin upstate
3. On one of the treadmills on the first floor of Gottesman!